Thursday, February 19, 2009

Give It Away


I would like to think I remain objective in the face of bad news - at least objective enough to function. This economic crisis, however, has had a significant impact on me and the way that I look at the future. I am only now beginning to understand some of the things my grandma said about the Great Depression. Okay, lets not argue about whether this is a depression or, if it is, whether or not it is the same. The point is that more than any time in my life more people are hurting. More people are suffering. Things are steadily getting worse.

In every other economic downturn in my life, things have gotten a little bumpy, a little scary. But somehow you just knew the plane was going down. Now, we are in a tailspin and are trying to figure out how the plane won't end up smacking the ground in a ball of flames.

It is times like these where it is important to let go. I recently let go of a lot of clothes I was saving for no particular purpose. When the opportunity came to give them to people who needed them, I happily obliged. This is the way this economic crisis is going to be bearable. By helping one another with the necessities, there is the dual benefit of delivering what is needed and keeping civility in our society. The act of giving in these times is what will separate mankind from animals. The instinct to horde and shun those in need can be powerful. Sure, nobody will admit it, but like any good tribesman, the first thing I want to do in a shortage is make sure there is enough for me and mine. Everyone else can just, well, find their own stuff. Giving keeps us one step ahead of this regression.

At some point during these tough times, the feeling of helplessness and hopelessness may catch up to you. Don't give in. Pick something and just give it away.

No comments: