Monday, January 26, 2009

The Yellow Brick Road


Now that another year has been born and a new President has been seated in office, I have to pause and ask myself, "What now?" This isn't some dumbass New Year's resolution, this is a question about uncovering my own manifesto. What is your manifesto? What is that thing you will keep going after no matter what? For Obama, was it really the Presidency, or did he see it three quarters of the way through his life and something he might just be able to swing.

I used to be inspired by young kids who knew what they want. Now I realize that 95% of them will take detours, get lost, turn around, stay still, or simply die right there on the Yellow Brick Road. That's because nobody told us just how hard it would be. Nobody told us that the Wicked Witch does exist and sometimes she looks like poverty, drug addiction, cheating spouses, boredom, and discontent. You can find her and she can find you, but once you meet, she never leaves.

So what is there to do in Oz but keep fighting your way along, fighting your way out. Clicking your heels together won't help, but a touch of compassion will. Be compassionate with yourself and be compassionate with other. You don't have to dive something to give and sometimes the best thing to lend is an ear. As I'm developing my manifesto this year and figuring out what the hell it is I am supposed to be doing, I'm going to start with a little more compassion to those who are traveling the road with me. Hey, its not much, but its a start.

No comments: